Our History

history_offices

On March 14, 1940, the employees of the Birmingham Gas Company met at the main office at: 1918 1st Avenue North in Birmingham, Alabama for the purpose of organizing an employee credit union. Mr. Earl Lasater acted as temporary chairman. The elected Board members were as follows: Bob Stubbs, Earl Lasater, Al Brown, Mrs. Lillie Rogers, and O. C. Warren. The name of the credit union was determined to be: Gasco Employees Credit Union.

In 1956, the employees of Alagasco in the Montgomery area met at: 901 N McDonald Street in Montgomery, Alabama for the purpose of organizing an employee credit union. The name of the credit union was determined to be: Alabama Gas Credit Union. The Credit Union’s purpose was to serve all Gas Company employees outside of the Birmingham area.

In 2003, the two credit unions merged and their names were changed to Energen Credit Union because the holding company for Alagasco was the Energen Corporation. The Board of Directors decided that the Credit Union would maintain branches in Birmingham and Montgomery.

Also, in 2003, the Credit Union purchased a building on West Oxmoor Road in Birmingham and relocated the Birmingham operation to this new site. The new building provided members with ample parking and drive through services. The Montgomery operation owned its building on Chestnut Street just down from the Montgomery Alagasco Service Center.

In 2013, a new building was constructed for the Montgomery Branch. The new building is located on the same site as the old building but has a larger footprint and much more functionality.

In 2014, Energen announced that it had Alagasco up for sale and that the two companies would be separating. The Credit Union’s Board of Directors made the decision that the time had come to open up the field of membership to individuals that live, work, and worship in the Jefferson and Montgomery counties in the State of Alabama. Also, to market the Credit Union to the public, a more generic name would need to be adopted. It was decided that the new name will be: history_resource